‘Direct Access’ means you have the option to see a hygienist without first seeing a dentist and without a prescription from a dentist. This is a new scheme that came into being last year and here at The Natural Smile we are happy to offer this service, although we do believe that in the long run it is better for you to see the dentist due to the limitations listed below.
Limitations with direct access;
- for example you won’t be able to receive local anaesthetic,
- we are only able to deliver hygiene treatment – we could not for example do a filling or see you as an emergency pain appointment
- although a hygienist can recognise signs and symptoms of dental and oral disease they can not diagnose.
- You won’t be able to receive any antibiotics
- or whitening treatment
- We won’t be able to take any X-rays
Treatments that are available:
- Professional scale and polish
- Oral health education
- Oral hygiene instruction
Additionally there is some paperwork that we need to complete with you by law, meaning that it will take us longer on the first direct access visit to see you so the first visit must be for 60 minutes. Depending on what the hygienist recommends subsequent visits under direct access may then be just 30 minutes.
Want to know more? Give us a call and speak to one of our team and we can send you more information. Don’t be shy we don’t bite!